Sunday, July 17, 2011

Reading the Bible to Teach, Part 2: Devotional Reading

In my last post I said that to really bring the Bible to life for kids, it’s helpful to take three passes at  reading the Bible text.
1. Read it devotionally.
2. Read it experientially.
3. Read it logically.
Today we’re going to look at reading it devotionally. 
When I was about 18 months old, my parents found out the hard way that I’m allergic to bees - big time.  We're talking emergency room allergic.  Fortunately, I wasn’t stung again until I was seven, but this time I reacted even worse.  I swelled up like a marshmallow and nearly died.

So I’ve spent decades living with a healthy fear of bees.  But not anymore. 
Two years ago, I discovered that you can actually get anti-venom shots for bee allergies.  Week after week I went in to get jabbed with needles that burned like fire.   But slowly the effect diminished.

I was growing immune because of contant, steady exposure.    
That’s a good thing. 
What’s not so good is that I’ve seen the same principle at work in my spiritual life.  Maybe you have too.

If we're not careful, constant, steady exposure to the word of God can immunize us to the sting of its power.  Remember the Pharisees?  Jesus said to them, "You diligently study the Scriptures, but the Scriptures should lead you to me!"
When I was young in my faith, the word of God was like fire in my veins. It burned me.  It stung me.  It completely undid me.  And God used it to draw me near to His love and grace and transform my soul.
But the more familiar I became with the Bible, the less of an effect it had on me – especially because a lot of my time in Scripture was spent preparing for lessons.  It was work.   An academic exercise.  Before I knew it, the word began to lose its sting. 
In this case, familiarity didn’t breed contempt, it bred indifference.  The word grew stale and cold as I became a world-class Pharisee myself.  We love to bag on these guys, don’t we?  And yet so many of us fall into the same trap and become religious professionals instead of grateful lovers of God.
If you really want to bring the Bible to life for kids, the first thing you have to do is let God bring the Bible to life in you.  Read the Bible with the humility of the tax collector who approached God by saying, “God have mercy on me, a sinner.”  Ask God what He’s saying to YOU, not so you can teach it, but so you can live it. 
This is the first and most important step to preparing to become a Bible Story Ninja! 

What are the best resources and practices you've discovered to help you in your devotional reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment